A great meal can make any mood better, but the right one as—moode—can literally change your mood in an instant. Unfortunately, this delicious India dish can be difficult to come by if you’re not careful, as many moode makers lack the skills and/or patience needed to craft the perfect moode. But don’t worry! Now you can learn how to make moode like a pro with this ultimate guide to making the perfect moode!
Moode is an Indian delicacy that’s gaining popularity among foodies across the globe. It’s also incredibly easy to make at home, so we decided to make it and share it with our readers! Find out how to make moode below!
What is Moode?
Moode idlis were made with weaved Kewda leaves. Kewda is a fragrant leaf from which essential oils are derived. It's used to make agarbattis / incense sticks, as well as natural perfumes. The fragrant aroma of fresh kewda leaves is thus imparted to the idlis.
This steaming cooked breakfast dish is more healthy and nutritious when cooked in all natural containers. There's also no need to clean the idli bowls. The leaves must be peeled while eating, and the distinct perfume fills our senses. It's a rare treat!
Moode is a traditional breakfast dish from Udupi's Mangalore coastline region. In handcrafted cylindrical cups, Moodes are steaming idlies with screw pine leaves.
Idlis (rice cakes) are one of the healthiest breakfast options in south India. Idlies are made by steaming fermented rice batter with urad dal. The same idli batter is used for Moode's. In most cases, idlies are steamed in little steel cups. Alternatively, a variety of natural leaves folded into a cylindrical cup form are used to flavor idli batter.
Soft and spongy idlis are made in a kotte, a bowl made by joining four jackfruit leaves with coconut sticks.
Recipe: Moode Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 123 reviews
Tags: moode, moode recipe, how to make moode, recipe video, easy method of making moode, video on how to prepare moode, how to prepare moode, moode instructions video, moode recipe methods, moode recipe tips, moode recipe pictures, moode food photos, moode step by step making, moode cooking methods, moode methods, moode cooking directions
About: Moode recipe guide. Moode is special rice dish made with Idli batter steamed in screw pine leaves. It is synonymous with Udupi and Mangalores tradition.
- 2 cups of Idli rice
- Salt, to taste
- Half cup of ural dal
- Half tsp of fenugreek seed
- Half Puffed rice (optional)
Moode recipe step by step
- Soak the idli rice, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds separately for 5 hours.
- The water from the idli rice has been drained and the urad dal has been rinsed.
- Grind the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together to form a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a mixing basin.
- Grind the rice to a thick froth after removing the urad dal batter from the bowl.
- Mix together both ground ingredients, rice, and ural dal batter in the same bowl until fully blended.
- Allow another 8 hours for this batter to ferment.
- Re-mix thoroughly after adequate fermentation and, if necessary, modify with water and salt.
- Steam for 40-45 minutes after filling a kedgi leaf halfway with batter.
- Before steaming Mudda, grease a steel tumbler/bowl with coconut oil.
- Half-fill the tumbler with batter.
- In a steamer, cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove the mudda and set aside for 5-10 minutes to cool.
- You should be in a good mood.
- With chutney, sambhar, or padhengi da ghassi, if desired.
Before beginning the grinding process, always wash and soak the urad for about an hour. It's crucial to soak the rice and urad separately so that you can grind the urad separately.
If you're using beaten rice, make sure to grind it with the rice.
If desired, insert ramekins (individual sanna moulds/bowls) inside the steel box in the steamer before placing each moode mould into each ramekin to prevent the moode mould from tumbling over.
Moode dish pictures
Video on How to make Moode
Learn how to make moode. Moode recipe guide. Moode is special rice dish made with Idli batter steamed in screw pine leaves.
In this how-to on how to make moode, you’ll learn the step-by-step process of making this popular Indian delicacy, which is often served as an accompaniment to a meal or eaten as an appetizer. Moode can be made with several variations in preparation methods and ingredients, and this recipe will teach you how to make the basic classic version.