If you’ve ever tried yuca frita, you know how delicious it can be, but if you haven’t had the pleasure of trying this savory dish, then you’re missing out! Yuca frita, also known as fried cassava or taro root, is often served with side dishes of your choice such as beans and rice or a fish fillet. However, it tastes great all on its own, too!
Yuca Yuca frita (pronounced YOO-ka FRIT-uh) is one of the most popular street foods in all of Cuba, and in particular the city of Havana, where it can be found on almost every block. It’s basically like french fries, but you get all of the delicious flavor with just 1/3 of the carbs! This yuca frita recipe makes enough yuca to serve 5 people or so as a snack or small side dish.
What is Yuca frita?
Cassava is another name for yuca. A root vegetable with a rough brown skin and a hard, white interior. When cassava is processed to be fried, the fries are known as Yuca frita. Yuca frita, also known as fried yuca or yuca fries, is a delicious side dish to try when you want to try something new.
Fried yuca has a delicate flavor and a creamy, slightly grainy texture. When fried, the outside becomes crispy while the inside stays creamy. Yuca is commonly served as a side dish or as an ingredient in soups and stews, such as this Cuban ajiaco. It is especially popular in Cuban culture at gatherings and special occasions where roast pork is served.
Fried yuca can be served in a small metal pan with a light green cilantro sauce. Common preparations include boiling, mashing, or frying the yuca, which is usually served with mojo or another sauce. We begin with pre-cooked yuca. Then it’s fried until golden, seasoned with salt, and usually served with a sauce.
Starting with the cilantro sauce allows the flavors to meld.
Recipe: Yuca Frita Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 38 reviews
Tags: yuca frita, yuca frita recipe, how to make yuca frita, recipe video, easy method of making yuca frita, video on how to prepare yuca frita, how to prepare yuca frita, yuca frita instructions video, yuca frita recipe methods, yuca frita recipe tips, yuca frita recipe pictures, yuca frita food photos, yuca frita step by step making, yuca frita cooking methods, yuca frita methods, yuca frita cooking directions
About: Yuca frita recipe guide. When this cassava is been processed to be fried, the fries is called Yuca frita.
Yuca frita Ingredients
- 3-4 quarts Water
- 2- 2½ pounds Frozen Yuca
- 1 teaspoon Salt, plus a couple of pinches to season after they are fried
- Canola oil, enough to cover the bottom of a deep, large skillet by about 1 inch (about 1½ cups)
- For Sauce
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, smashed and roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
Yuca frita recipe step by step
Yuca frita preparations! Here you have all the step by step information on preparation of yuca frita. Directions and how to prepare yuca frita recipe below.
Below is a recipe for the most delicious yuca frita. The recipe is very simple and you can prepare it in no time. Watch the video for a step-by-step preparation. This video will guide you to a delicious meal.
- For the Sauce: In a small blender, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper (like a Nutribullet). Blend until the sauce has reached a smooth consistency. Continue blending after scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula a couple of times. Keep the cilantro garlic sauce refrigerated until ready to use. Just before serving, give it a good stir.
- To boil the yuca, use a very large pot. If it’s overcrowded and doesn’t get enough water to boil, it’ll become mushy and won’t work for the yuca fries.
- In a large pot, add 3–4 quarts of water.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- To the water, add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the yuca to the boiling water with care.
- Toss the yuca into the water with tongs.
- Cook the yuca for 20-25 minutes with the lid on the pot.
- Once in a while, give it a gentle stir.
- Cook until the yuca is tender.
- Because you want the yuca to hold its shape when frying it, don’t overcook it.
- After the first 15 minutes of cooking, keep an eye on it and test a piece. From there, estimate the remaining cooking time.
- Using a strainer, drain the yuca completely, allowing all of the water to drain and the steam to escape.
- Arrange the yuca on a pan or large platter once it has cooled enough to handle. (It should not be stacked.)
- Allow the yuca to cool completely before refrigerating it until it is chilled and firm.
- On a wood cutting board, cut the yuca in half with a large knife.
- Remove the stringy, woody pieces from the yuca and discard them. (When you see thick twine, you’ll know what I’m talking about.)
- The yuca should then be cut into thick pieces. At least 3-4 inches long and 1 inch thick.
- In a deep, large skillet, pour enough oil to cover the bottom by about 1 inch. Over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add some of the yuca pieces to the skillet.
- Add just enough yuca to leave some space between the pieces). Do not overcrowd the skillet; cook in 2 minute increments).
- After 2 minutes, turn each piece and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Fry the yuca for another minute, turning any pieces that require more browning.
- On all sides, the yuca should be a light golden color.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, remove the yuca and place it on a paper towel-lined plate or pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt as soon as they’re all gone.
- Serve with the sauce you’ve made ahead of time!
Yuca frita Pictures
Video on How to make Yuca frita
Learn how to make yuca frita. When this cassava is been processed to be fried, the fries is called Yuca frita. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic yuca frita.
You’ve probably tried tostones or patacones in a restaurant before, but have you ever tried yuca frita? You might think it’s just another tostone, but yuca frita are very different from tostones, and they have their own tasty characteristics. Before you learn how to make yuca frita, let’s talk about what it is and how to correctly pronounce it!