I’m not going to lie; Torta Cubana isn’t the easiest sandwich to make at home. It takes time, patience, and a few more ingredients that are difficult to find outside of authentic ethnic markets. But if you want to taste something totally different from all of the other sandwiches you see on every menu in your city, there’s no better place to start than with this Cuban-inspired recipe for Torta Cubana.
What’s the secret behind Cuban cuisine? Part of it lies in the country’s tropical climate, which makes fresh fruits and vegetables readily available to home cooks and restaurant chefs alike. Another part of it comes from the heavy influence of African slaves, who brought their own cooking traditions to the island nation. The recipe I’m going to show you today—Torta Cubana—has both of these influences at play.
What is Torta Cubana?
Torta Cubana is a sandwich made with ham, cheese, pork or chicken, french fries, and plantains that is served on a soft roll similar to Cuban bread. It is a traditional Cuban sandwich. The torta cubana was originally known as the sandwich colombiano.
A torta Cubana is a sandwich with various meats, cheeses, and sauces. This delicious sandwich takes its name from Calle Republica de Cuba, the street in Mexico City where it was invented. The flavor of this torta cubana sandwich is somewhere between a baguette and a brioche. It’s sweet and soft, with a nice chewy crust.
Tortas Cubanas combine refried beans, avocado, American-style cheese, and, on rare occasions, chipotle-spiced crema with a beef filling. A traditional dessert that is simple to make at home.
It’s also a great dessert to bring to family gatherings and potluck parties, as well as to serve at Cinco de Mayo parties.
Recipe: Torta Cubana Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 449 reviews
Tags: torta cubana, torta cubana recipe, how to make torta cubana, recipe video, easy method of making torta cubana, video on how to prepare torta cubana, how to prepare torta cubana, torta cubana instructions video, torta cubana recipe methods, torta cubana recipe tips, torta cubana recipe pictures, torta cubana food photos, torta cubana step by step making, torta cubana cooking methods, torta cubana methods, torta cubana cooking directions
About: Torta Cubana recipe guide. The torta Cubana is a Mexican sandwich filled with various meats, cheeses, and sauces. Learn how to make torta cubana.
Torta Cubana Ingredients
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup carnitas
- 1 sandwich roll sliced lengthwise down the middle
- 2 slices of cheese
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 4 slices of pork loin
- 1 to 2 slices ham
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup refried beans bays
- 3-4 tbsp Refried beans
- ½ Avocado, mashed or sliced
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 6 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream or Mexican-style Crema
- 3 pieces pickled jalapeño peppers
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
Torta Cubana recipe
- Take a large nonstick skillet and heat it up. Set it over medium-high heat, lightly greased. On both slices of bread, spread the butter.
- After the butter has melted on the griddle or skillet. Heat the chicken, pork loin slices, and ham. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Then, face-down on the skillet, place both slices of bread. Wait until the slices are golden brown and crisp. Then flip it over and do it again. Remove the item and place it on a clean work surface.
- Reduce the heat to a medium setting. Then, in the same skillet, warm the carnitas and ham. Wait a few minutes before flipping it. Place the cheese slices on top of the ham slices.
- Mustard, mayonnaise, and refried beans are spread on top.
- This step is for making the crema/mayonnaise, which is optional. Add 12 teaspoon chipotle powder to the spread of your choice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you want to use the crema, spread it on the bread slices first, then the refried beans. Place the avocado on the bottom slice of bread after that.
- Place the carnitas on the bottom slice of the bread if the cheese has melted onto the ham. Carnitas must be piled high on top of avocado slices.
- After the carnitas, add the ham and cheese. Place the second slice of bread on top. Serve the pickled jalapeo peppers alongside the sandwich if you chose to include them.
Torta Cubana Pictures
Recipe Video on How to make Torta Cubana
Learn how to make torta cubana. The torta Cubana is a Mexican sandwich filled with various meats, cheeses, and sauces. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic torta cubana.
What’s better than a Cuban sandwich? A Cuban sandwich that you don’t have to travel all the way to Miami to get! Torta Cubana combines the flavors of traditional Cuban sandwiches with the rich and gooey tastes of Mexican-inspired tortas, resulting in an intense, delicious fusion of cuisines. This Torta Cubana recipe makes it simple to bring this great sandwich home to your own kitchen, and we’ll teach you all the tips and tricks you need to make it just right every time.