Are you looking for some authentic Mexican tacos that are known all over the country? Do you want to know how to make Tacos Gobernador? You’ve come to the right place!
You’ve likely heard of tacos al pastor, and you probably know about tacos de carne asada, but do you know about tacos gobernador? In the state of Veracruz, Mexico, these tacos are made with grilled shrimp and spicy seasonings served with sliced avocado and cabbage on top. Get the recipe here!
What is Tacos Gobernador?
Tacos Gobernador, or Governor tacos, are a delicious combination of chunky shrimp, veggies (poblano or bell peppers), onion, tomatoes, and a great mix of herbs and spices including cilantro, oregano, ground cumin, paprika, celery seed, and some lovely smokey Adobo Sauce.
You can use corn or flour tortillas; I prefer to brush them lightly with oil before toasting them on the griddle; then I top them with freshly grated melty cheese until melted; and finally, I top it with a hefty piece of my shrimp filling.
These wonderful Tacos Gobernador were created for a governor, but they’re fit for a king, and I like to serve them with some of my amazing Tomatillo salsa or sour cream.
The Tacos Gobernador is one of Mexico’s best seafood tacos, named after a restaurant in Sinaloa that opted to prepare it during a visit by the state governor, in order to surprise him with a taco inspired by his favorite food.
Tacos Gobernador are bursting with flavor, thanks to onions and tomatoes, as well as a dash of peppers and Mexican spices. Then they’re wrapped in crunchy quesadilla-style tacos and encased in very melty cheese. How fascinating!
Shrimp, cheese, and poblano pepper are used in the Gobernador tacos. Peppers are also included in some places, and the combination of these items on a wheat or corn tortilla is just fantastic.
Recipe: Tacos Gobernador Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 621 reviews
Tags: gobernador tacos, tacos gobernador, governor tacos, tacos gobernador recipe, tacos gobernador food, how to make tacos gobernador, tacos gobernador recipe video, easy method of making tacos gobernador, video on how to prepare tacos gobernador, how to prepare tacos gobernador, tacos gobernador instructions video, tacos gobernador recipe methods, tacos gobernador recipe tips, tacos gobernador recipe pictures, tacos gobernador food photos, tacos gobernador step by step instructions, tacos gobernador cooking methods, tacos gobernador methods, tacos gobernador cooking directions
About: Tacos Gobernador recipe guide. Tacos gobernador means governor tacos. Learn how to make yours now.
- 1 pound melty shredded cheese (oaxaca cheese, chihuahua cheese or asadero cheese)
- Corn tortillas
- 2 poblano chiles, skinned, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter, lard or olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 small, hot chiles, chopped (optional)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 pound peeled shrimp, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Tacos Gobernador Recipe step by step
- Roast the poblanos and then steam the skins off in a plastic bag. Remove the tops and seeds after skinning. Cut them into crosswise strips. If you prefer, you can dice them.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Toss in the garlic, chilies (if using), diced tomato, shrimp, oregano, and salt.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Melt 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter in a separate skillet, comal, griddle, or big frying pan, or on a grill. Warm the entire tortilla by opening the tacos.
- Place the tortilla on the counter and top it with shredded cheese.
- With a spatula, fold the tortilla to cover the shrimp side as soon as it becomes soft.
- Brown the other side of the tacos. Cook until the cheese has melted and the bacon is crispy. Repeat until all tacos are finished.
On the side, serve with roasted salsa verde. Instead of shredded lettuce, use shredded cabbage and replace the jalapeño with roasted, peeled, and diced poblano.
Though it is most commonly associated with shrimp tacos, it can also be found with other seafood such as hard white fish or even lobster.
In a cast-iron skillet, fry the tacos in butter or grapeseed oil. Using this procedure, fold the tacos and heat on both sides until golden brown. On a paper towel-lined dish, finish the remaining tacos.
Tacos Gobernador dish images
Video on How to make Tacos Gobernador
Learn how to make tacos gobernador. Governor tacos recipe. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic tacos gobernador.
Tacos Gobernador are Mexican tacos that originated in the Guadalajara region of Mexico. They are small tacos filled with meat, and topped with cheese, salsa, onions, and cilantro, which makes them perfect as appetizers or even as an entire meal! To make them at home, you will need pork loin chops that have been marinated in lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper; as well as flour tortillas. What you will end up with are flavorful, delicious tacos that everyone will love! Here’s how to make Tacos Gobernador recipe at home… above!