Mole de Olla recipe step by step instructions, list of mole de olla ingredients, easy mole de olla food directions
While there are many traditional Mexican dishes that have become popular in the United States, mole de olla is not one of them. This chili-based dish hails from Mexico City and can take hours to prepare and over 20 ingredients to make. Thankfully, we’ve come up with a simplified version that you can still enjoy if you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. Check out our step-by-step guide on how to make mole de olla below, then try it out yourself!
Mole de Olla is a food dish that includes chicken, pork, and vegetables in a red sauce made with spices, chocolate, dried fruits and nuts. It originates from Mexico and I’m going to show you how to make it with this simple step-by-step recipe. Here we go! Let’s dive in!
Mole de Olla – Mexican Beef and Vegetable Soup
A classic Mexican soup is mole de olla. Xoconostle, squash, zucchini, green beans, maize, potato, chambarete, and aguja meat are all cooked in a guajillo and pasilla chile broth with garlic, onion, and epazote. It’s served with lemon and minced serrano pepper. A sauce or a mixture of components is referred to as mole.
Mole de Olla is a spice and chili pepper blend with a particular flavor, typically fiery but with a sweet undertone.
This delicious delicacy dates back to pre-Hispanic times and is distinguished by its light or liquid consistency, as contrast to the thick consistency of all moles.
This is one of the most iconic Mexican meals, as it is one of the most popular stews in fondas and most homes across the country.
Mole de Olla isn’t made with a spicy-rich sauce like other traditional Mexican moles. Instead, this stew is made with a vegetable broth and a little chile sauce, which gives it a crimson hue and a subtle smokey flavor.
A hearty dish made with bone-in chunks of meat, vegetables such as carrots, chayote, squash, corn, green beans, and xoconostles, and a flavor combination of carrots, chayote, squash, corn, green beans, and xoconostles.
Mole de Olla Recipe Facts
Recipe: Mole de Olla Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 586 reviews
Tags: mole de olla, mole de olla recipe, mole de olla food, how to make mole de olla, mole de olla recipe video, easy method of making mole de olla, video on how to prepare mole de olla, how to prepare mole de olla, mole de olla instructions video, mole de olla recipe methods, mole de olla recipe tips, mole de olla recipe pictures, mole de olla food photos, mole de olla step by step instructions, mole de olla cooking methods, mole de olla methods, mole de olla cooking directions
About: Mole de Olla recipe guide. Mexican beef and vegetables soup. Learn how to make your authentic food, mole de olla.
Mole de Olla Ingredients List
Here you have all the
- 1 pound beef shank
- 1 pound beef, cut into chunks
- Marrow Bones optional
- 3 liters water
- 1 head garlic
- 1 white onion small
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp salt
- 2 corn cobs cut into four pieces
- 1 chayote chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 Carrots chopped into small pieces
- 3 red potatoes chopped into small pieces
- 1 squash chopeed into small pieces
- green beans
- 1/2 cabbage head cut into small pieces
- 2 mint leaves
- 2 dried chile ancho (pasilla) remove stems and seeds
- 4-5 dried chile guajillo remove stems and seeds
- 6-8 dried chile puya removed stems only
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
Mole de Olla recipe step by step
- Bring water, beef shanks and chunks, salt, garlic, onion, and bay leaves to a boil in a big pot for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the onion and garlic, then add the corn, carrots, green beans, and chayote and continue to cook for another 30 minutes over medium heat.
- After it comes to a boil, turn down the heat slightly. There may be some foam visible, which may be scraped away with a wooden spoon. Skim the foam off the top as needed. The beef will become tender in about 2-2 1/2 hours. On the back burner, heat a saucepan of water. Add extra water as the beef cooks down.
- Add the potatoes, squash, mint leaves, and cabbage and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until the steak is done.
- For the sauce, partially fill another pot with water and heat to medium. Bring the tomatoes, garlic, and chiles to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes. Then turn the heat off. Before putting the chiles and tomatoes in the blender jar, remove half of the cooking water from them. Season with salt and pepper to taste and a sprinkling of oregano. Blend on high until the mixture is perfectly smooth.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the chile sauce you made earlier. Raise the heat to a low-medium simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until carrots (chayotes) are fork tender.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges and tortillas.
Mole de Olla food images
Video on How to make Mole de Olla
Learn how to make mole de olla. Mexican beef and vegetables soup. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic mole de olla.
How to make Mole de Olla, endnote
Traditional Mexican foods are becoming more and more popular outside of Mexico, which means more people are eating traditional dishes like this hearty chicken stew, Mole de Olla. However, there’s a lot of bad information out there on how to make Mole de Olla, so today we’re going to cover what is Mole de Olla and how to make it properly in your own kitchen. You can serve this dish over rice or wrap it up in warm tortillas with plenty of diced onion and cilantro leaves!