I love steak, and I’m always looking to expand my repertoire of delicious cuts. That’s why I decided to try something new recently: blue steak! This technique has actually been around for a while, but it’s rare that you see it done, or at least it was before the popularity of shows like Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and Munchies on the Viceland channel.
How to make blue steak? It’s easier than you think! Follow our step-by-step guide and you’ll be making the perfect blue steak in no time. We also answer handful of questions regarding how safe it is to eat blue steak, which meat works best, and so on.
What is blue steak?
When exposed to air, it turns red and loses its blue tint because myoglobin is oxygenated from the time it is cut until you buy it from the butcher. A blue steak is seared on the exterior and entirely red throughout, whereas a rare steak is seared on the outside and 75 percent red throughout.
“Blue Rare” or “bleu” are other names for it.
Why is it called Blue steak?
- because when you initially cut the flesh, it’s dark purple, but it quickly turns red when exposed to oxygen. However, you rarely see steak this color since it quickly turns red. Second, purple-red isn’t the same as blue.
- because seared steak oils have a bluish shine.
- because “blue” connotes “cold” or “cool,” which a blue steak’s inside should be.
Is it safe to eat Blue steak?
Which meat is good for blue steak?
How do you cook a perfect blue steak?
Blue steak should be cooked between 115 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Any temperature below 115°F is considered raw and will be chilly. Over 120 degrees F, we’re in ‘unusual’ area, not blue.
The meat should have a spongy texture and be devoid of resistance. A relaxed blue steak should feel like the muscle between the thumb and fingers as a reference for its softness.
Keep in mind that a blue steak can be difficult to chew, and because the heat hasn’t penetrated the steak, there won’t be much juice streaming out.
Recipe: Blue Steak Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 2487 reviews
Tags: blue steak, blue steak recipe, blue steak food, how to make blue steak, blue steak recipe video, easy method of making blue steak, video on how to prepare blue steak, how to prepare blue steak, blue steak instructions video, blue steak recipe methods, blue steak recipe tips, blue steak recipe pictures, blue steak food photos, blue steak step by step instructions, blue steak cooking methods, blue steak methods, blue steak cooking directions
About: Blue Steak easy recipe from LHH Food. Learn how to make your blue steak from home.
What you will need
- 1-inch thick steak
- Salt or pepper
- Olive oil
- Large frying pan
- Disinfecting wipes
How to make Blue Steak step by step
- Make sure the steak is at room temperature before cooking it.
- Grill the steak
- Dry it and season it.
- After adding the olive oil to the pan, heat it to a high temperature until it begins to smoke.
- When the oil is hot, place the steak in the pan.
- Prod or press the steak to move it along.
- Allow one minute for the meat to sizzle. Sterilize your tongs now.
- Returning to the steak, flip it over without touching it.
- Allow the steak to cook for another minute on the grill.
- Make sure the steak’s exterior surface is sealed brown after two to three minutes.
- Roll the steak on its side if the edges appear to be raw.
- Check the internal temperature of the meat with a thermometer. If the inner temperature of the steak is less than 84°F, you’re presenting a blue steak.
- Remove the meat and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Reheat the pan until it’s hot and give it a quick flash on both sides to avoid serving the meat cold.
Blue Steak pictures
Blue Steak Guide
Learn how to make blue steak. This is a video on how to prepare your blue steak.
Use this guide to make blue steak at home, and you’ll never have to go out to dinner again! This recipe for how to make blue steak at home will be one of the most delicious meals you’ve ever prepared. We’ll show you how to make blue steak from scratch with just four ingredients! If you love good food, make sure you’re following our Pinterest page, because we’re always posting new recipes like this one! Be sure to also check out our Facebook page, and leave us your favorite recipes in the comments below!