Birria Burrito is a traditional Mexican spicy meat pepper soup in tortillas served as appetizer or main course. Learn the facts; easy birria burrito recipe and ingredients; and professional kitchen tips to make yours at home conveniently.
This article contains the following subheadings:
- Description: What it is, history, and facts.
- The Recipe: Detailed information on preparation and more.
Birria burritos are traditional Mexican tortillas “burritos” that contain the flavorful stewed meat known as birria. The stew consists of goat, cow or sheep meat (which often includes the head, stomach, and tongue) and it’s usually flavored with chilis and spices like black pepper, oregano, garlic and cumin.
What is Birria Burrito?
The birria burrito, also known as the burrita de birria in Spanish, is an authentic Mexican dish that comes from the central and southern regions of Mexico.
The birria burrito is a delicious Mexican dish that blends the burritos with traditional birria. Birria originally refers to a dish of goat pepper soup cooked slowly in simmering broth and seasoned with chilies and spices, but over time has evolved into many different types of dishes depending on the region of Mexico it’s prepared in.
What is Birria?
Birria is a spicy goat meat stew that originated in the Mexican state of Jalisco. In the United States, it can be found at many taquerias and taco stands in California. The dish is served with salsas, lime wedges, onion, cilantro and tortillas. It can also be served on top of rice or beans.
What is burrito?
A burrito is a traditional dish consisting of a large flour tortilla wrapped around a filling. The burritos that most Americans are familiar with are filled with rice, beans, and some combination of meat, cheese or vegetables.
Wrapping tortillas in aluminum foil and heating them up in the oven is a popular way to cook this dish for large groups. Often, burritos will have only one type of meat but it can also have many different types. In addition to being served as a main course dish like steak burritos and chicken burritos, they are often cut into wedges as appetizers such as shredded beef nachos or black bean nachos.
A traditional birria burrito consists of goat meat (birria) in a red chili pepper broth with tomatoes, onion and cilantro on top of an already prepared flour tortilla. The meat inside the burrito can be either shredded or chopped into smaller pieces.
Birria Burrito Recipe
Ingredients needed for Birria Burrito
- 4 beef bones
- 3-4 lb beef or lamb
- Dan-O’s Hot Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- A mix of Mexican dried chilies
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar + 1/2 cup water (to soak dried chili)
- 1 tsp each pepper, thyme, cumin
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 x 12 oz lager beer
- 36 oz beef stock
- 2 avocados
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- Burrito tortillas
- 1 Can of black beans
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 Red onion
How to make Birria Burrito step by step
- Broil the bones and onion for 15 minutes on high heat.
- Remove the seeds from the dried chilies. After toasting the dried chilies for 2 minutes, soak them in a mixture of water and vinegar for 15 minutes. In a blender or food processor, combine pepper, thyme, cumin, garlic, cinnamon, bay leaves, beer, and broth.
- Season the meat lightly with olive oil. Then sear on high for a few minutes.
- Cook for 1 hour 30 minutes on medium with the meat, bones, and 3/4 of the sauce mixture (the rest will be used later).
- Wrap the burrito in a tortilla shell with cheese, beef, bone marrow, cilantro, onion, black beans, guacamole, and more cheese.
- Heat the oil in a pan and place the burrito inside. Top the burrito with a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce. Cook for about a minute on medium heat before flipping.
- To make a dipping sauce, combine the remainder of the sauce with some cilantro.
Recipe Video: How to make Birria Burrito
Learn how to make birria burrito. This is a video on how to prepare your birria burrito.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 528 reviews.
Recipe tags: birria burrito, birria burrito recipe, burrito, birria, mexican, tortillas, tacos, what is birria burrito, birria burrito food, how to make birria burrito, birria burrito recipe video, easy method of making birria burrito, video on how to prepare birria burrito, how to prepare birria burrito, birria burrito instructions video, birria burrito recipe methods, birria burrito recipe tips, birria burrito recipe pictures, birria burrito food photos, birria burrito step by step instructions, birria burrito cooking methods, birria burrito methods, birria burrito cooking directions
Birria Burrito endnote
In recent years, Mexican food has become increasingly popular all over the country, and this has led to the creation of some truly unique Mexican fusion dishes that combine flavors and ingredients from both sides of the border.
One such delicacy is the birria burrito, which features traditional Mexican birria meat in a tortilla along with more Americanized toppings such as cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole and salsa. This simple combination of tastes creates a delicious explosion of flavor in every bite!
The birria burrito brings together these various regional dishes into one iconic fusion meal, incorporating the best parts of each while adding its own unique spin to create something new entirely!