Awamat is a traditional Lebanese snack that can be made with flour dough, as we do here in this recipe. If you don’t eat meat, it’s worth trying awamat just to see what all the fuss is about! Awamat might look like a lot of ingredients and steps, but it’s actually quite simple to make once you have everything together and understand the process.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make awamat, a traditional Lebanese dish that’s full of flavor and easy to prepare. With only few ingredients and minimal preparation time, this scrumptious side dish will be the perfect addition to your next small party or potluck gathering. Are you ready to learn how to make awamat? Let’s go!
What is Awamat?
The traditional fried flatbread snack known as “awamat” originated in Lebanon. Although it has several distinct names around the Middle East and Mediterranean Sea—Awwami, Awamet, Loukoumades, Lokma, etc.—it has its roots in Lebanon.
The dough for awamat is made of flour, yeast, sugar, butter, salt, water, and optional eggs. It is then deep-fried in vegetable oil until golden brown. Although baking powder can be used in place of yeast, yeast is more frequently employed. Wamat can be cooked and then rolled in sugar.
Awamat can be rolled in any spice or flavoring, including cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg, just like the French beignet and the Italian zeppole. This awamat dish is prepared in a fusion style and served with a fruit dip like strawberry or raspberry. You can eat awamat either simple or with extra ingredients.
The little donut-shaped deep-fried balls have a crispy brown surface and a sweet, thick interior. A flour dough is typically used to make awamat, however other types of batter can also be utilized. Different variations employ different toppings and flavors, like sugar, chocolate, or maple glaze. Water, leaven, eggs, milk, sugar, oil, shortening, and natural or artificial flavors may also be included in wamat.
Awamat Recipe Card
Recipe: Awamat Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 39 reviews
Tags: awamat, awamat recipe, what is awamat, awamat food, how to make awamat, awamat recipe video, easy method of making awamat, video on how to prepare awamat, how to prepare awamat, awamat instructions video, awamat recipe methods, awamat recipe tips, awamat recipe pictures, awamat food photos, awamat step by step instructions, awamat cooking methods, awamat methods, awamat cooking directions
About: Awamat easy recipe from LHH Food. Learn how to make your awamat from home.
- 2 cups tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium-sized potato, boiled to fork tender
- 2 tablespoons corn flour/ cornstarch
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- Sugar syrup
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 11/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 4 cups vegetable or sunflower oil
How to make Awamat step by step
- To make the sugar syrup, combine the water, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a wooden spoon occasionally until the mixture begins to boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside the orange blossom water.
- In a pot, cover the potato with water and bring to a boil. Cover the saucepan, decrease the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork soft. Drain. When the potato is cold enough to handle, peel it and mash it thoroughly with a potato masher, leaving no lumps.
- In a large mixing basin, combine the mashed potatoes, flour, active dry yeast, cornstarch, and lukewarm water. The batter should be whisked until smooth. Wrap the batter with cling film and set aside for 1 1/2 hours, or until it has doubled in size.
- Heat the oil to frying temperature in a large deep heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Scoop out enough dough to fill your hand. Squeeze your fist firmly enough to shove a cherry-sized ball between your thumb and index finger.
- Drop the balls into the hot oil in batches to avoid crowding the oil. Reduce the heat to medium and whisk occasionally until the balls start to firm up and turn pale yellow. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the pan. Repeat until the entire batter has been fried.
- Return the fried balls to the heated oil in three batches, and fry the awamat until brown and golden. The awamat becomes crisper due to the double frying.
- Remove using a slotted spoon and place in the sugar syrup. Allow the sugar to seep into the balls for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the balls from the sugar syrup and place them in a serving plate.
- You have the option of using a double fry approach. This will thoroughly cook the awamat balls while also producing the golden delectable crust that everyone adores.
- You may combining 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. To prepare simple syrup, simply dissolve the sugar in boiling water and let it simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Put the syrup in a bottle with a tight-fitting cap and store it somewhere cool and dark. It’s also ideal for soaking cake layers or preparing candied fruits.
- When you flavor the syrup, the number of recipe possibilities skyrockets. These fundamental flavor combinations, ranging from strawberry, cinnamon, and mint to florals like rose and lavender, are an easy way to add new flavor aspects to any recipe.
Recipe Video: How to make Awamat
Learn how to make awamat. This is a video on how to prepare your awamat.
If you’re looking to try something different this holiday season, awamat might be the recipe you’re looking for. A Lebanese family tradition, awamat is made with almost same ingredients as doughnuts, with various spices added in as well depending on your tastes. Awamat can be eaten as a dessert or used in other recipes as well. Learn how to make this traditional recipe and give it a try!