Spotted dick bread recipe is a traditional English pudding that’s both simple to make and delicious to eat. It’s made from bread dough that’s been colored with saffron and usually served with clotted cream or butter and jam. Its sweet-yet-savory taste makes it very versatile as an accompaniment to any meal, whether you serve it as part of your breakfast or dessert, or have it on its own with tea or coffee throughout the day.
Spotted dick bread is a delicious English cake that tastes like gingerbread with custard sauce. It’s traditionally made from bread dough and dried fruit such as currants, raisins, and sultanas, but you can also make it from scratch using this recipe if you’re feeling ambitious!
What is Spotted Dick Bread?
Spotted dick bread is the American version of Irish Soda bread which is originally believed to have been originated from United Kingdom. Its main ingredient are Suet, dried fruit, flour, sugar, milk, baking powder.
While soda bread is most commonly associated with Ireland, it was actually invented by Native Americans. They were the first to use pearl ash, a natural form of soda formed from wood ashes, to leaven their bread without yeast. This simple Irish classic is a household staple, used to mop up hearty stews and wash down cups of tea. It's also a celebratory symbol.
What exactly is spotted dick bread? It’s actually quite simple: it’s a traditional English dish made with flour, currants and suet (or beef fat). The name spotted dick comes from the currants; they resemble spots in the bread. We love this recipe because it’s easy to make, delicious and inexpensive! Follow our step-by-step instructions below to learn how to make this great dish at home.
Spotted dick bread is a delicious English treat that you can enjoy any time of the year, but it’s particularly appropriate during the holiday season when this spiced treat brings to mind its traditional role as an accompaniment to Christmas pudding. If you’ve never had spotted dick bread before, I think you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make and even more surprised at how delicious it tastes! And don’t forget to check out the tips at the end of this article that will help you take your spotted dick bread from good to great!
Recipe: Spotted Dick Bread Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 64 reviews
Tags: spotted dick bread, spotted dick bread recipe, spotted dick bread food, how to make spotted dick bread, spotted dick bread recipe video, easy method of making spotted dick bread, video on how to prepare spotted dick bread, how to prepare spotted dick bread, spotted dick bread instructions video, spotted dick bread recipe methods, spotted dick bread recipe tips, spotted dick bread recipe pictures, spotted dick bread food photos, spotted dick bread step by step instructions, spotted dick bread cooking methods, spotted dick bread methods, spotted dick bread cooking directions
About: Spotted Dick Bread easy recipe from LHH Food. Learn how to make your spotted dick bread from home.
Spotted Dick Bread Ingredients
Note: ingredients and measurements below is for a loaf of bread.
- 1 pound (450 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dessertspoon sugar
- 3 to 4 ounces (85 to 110 grams) sultanas
- 1 large raw egg
- 425 milliliters buttermilk
How to make Spotted Dick Bread
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl sift in the dry ingredients which are flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and sultanas.
- Mix well by lifting the flour and fruit up in to your hands and then letting them fall back into the bowl through your finger tip.
- Break the egg into your measuring jug, and add the buttermilk
- Make a round space in the center of the dry mixture
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the flour.
- Using 1 hand with the fingers open and stiff, mix in a full circle drawing in the flour from the sides of the bowl ( you can keep adding more milk for softness if necessary)
- By now, the dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky.
- Spotted dick bread should be mixed as quickly and as gently as possible so to keep it light and airy.
- When the dough all comes together, turn it out onto a well-floured work surface.
- Wash and dry your hands.
- With floured fingers roll lightly for a few seconds just enough to tidy it up.
- Pat the dough into a round, pressing to about 2-inch (6 centimeter) in height.
- Place the dough on a baking tray dusted lightly with flour.
- With a sharp knife cut a deep cross on it, let the cuts go over the sides of the bread.
- Put in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then turn down the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 35 minutes or until cooked.
- Cut into thick slices and smeared with butter and jam to serve freshly baked. Spotted Dick also goes well with cheese.
Recipe Video: How to make Spotted Dick Bread
Learn how to make spotted dick bread. This is a video on how to prepare your spotted dick bread.
Spotted Dick Bread pictures
When you think of British desserts, you probably don’t think of spotted dick bread. And that’s because it’s not as common in the United States as it is in England. This spotty, fruity bread was created in 1837 by a cook named Eliza Acton, who worked at the Neath Abbey Estate at the time. While she didn’t invent the recipe herself—it was actually based on traditional Yorkshire fare—she refined it and published her recipes, making it one of the first cookbooks written by an Englishwoman to be published in the United States.