Peasant salad is one of the most unique salads you can eat, and if you’re looking to add more vegetables to your diet, this recipe might be just what you need! A peasant salad usually consists of any combination of lettuce, cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, tomato, carrots, olives and peas all tossed in a vinaigrette dressing. This salad can be eaten as a side dish or light meal by itself and it’s super easy to make! Give it a try today!
A peasant salad is an easy way to make a filling meal with inexpensive ingredients. This peasant salad recipe is incredibly simple to make but will keep you full until your next meal! It’s perfect as an evening meal when you want something light after a day of eating heavy foods.
What is Peasant Salad?
'Horiatiki' is a peasant salad. A popular Greek salad in Greece is made with tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta cheese, and olives and seasoned with salt, pepper, Greek oregano, and olive oil. Popular garnishes include green bell pepper slices and caper berries.
Peasant salad is not like other salads, but it is still nutritious and simple to prepare. It goes well with chicken, potatoes, and dessert.
Despite the absence of lettuce in the original recipe, a "Greek salad" could be a lettuce salad with Greek-inspired elements outside of Greece. Meanwhile, the lettuce-free version is known as horiatiki, which translates as "peasant salad" or "village salad."
This sensational recipe requires the following ingredients: good feta cheese, ripe tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, olives, and extra virgin olive oil. This delicious tomato-based salad embodies all of the traditional Greek flavors and aromas that are so popular around the world.
Peasant Salad Recipe
Recipe: Peasant Salad Recipe (Horiatiki Salata)
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 153 reviews
Tags: peasant salad, peasant salad recipe, peasant salad food, how to make peasant salad, recipe video, easy method of making peasant salad, video on how to prepare peasant salad, how to prepare peasant salad, peasant salad instructions video, peasant salad recipe methods, peasant salad recipe tips, peasant salad recipe pictures, peasant salad food photos, peasant salad step by step making, peasant salad cooking methods, peasant salad methods, peasant salad cooking directions
About: Peasant salad recipe guide. This is a Greek-style Horiatiki salata. Learn how to make your authentic food, peasant salad.
Peasant salad Ingredients
- 2/3 peeled medium yellow potatoes, sliced thick
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1/3 cup brewed black tea
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Grounded pepper to taste
- 2 heads Belgian endive, cut on the diagonal into wide strips
- 2 large red or yellow tomato, onions, cucumber diced
- 1 cup croutons
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup crumbled of any blue cheese
Peasant salad Recipe
- Potatoes should be peeled, cut into large chunks, and thoroughly washed.
- In a medium saucepan, place the potatoes and enough water to cover them.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a low heat and cook until just tender.
- Using a sieve, drain the liquid and place it in a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Bacon should be cut into small pieces and thoroughly washed.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Crumble it on top of the mashed potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon, tea, oil, and vinegar until well combined.
- To taste, season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the potatoes and bacon with the dressing before serving.
- Mix together the frisée (or chicory), endive, tomato, cucumber, onions, croutons, parsley, and cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread to soak up any remaining vinaigrette.
Peasant salad Pictures
Learn how to make peasant salad. This is a Greek-style Horiatiki salata. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic peasant salad.
Peasant salad is a great way to get in some vegetables and other healthy foods without having to add on the calories of regular dressings or oils! It’s also easy to make, which makes it a great staple to throw together when you’re short on time or just don’t feel like cooking! Up here’s how to make peasant salad recipe, so that you can have tasty meals all week long!