Ensalada de Coditos, or traditional pasta salad, is one of the most delicious salads in Mexico. It’s also very simple to make, even if you don’t have access to some of the ingredients needed for it. Below I’ll go over what you need and what you do in order to prepare Ensalada de Coditos at home!
Ensalada de Coditos, a fun and flavorful Mexican pasta salad, combines classic ingredients with pasta and an assortment of colorful vegetables. Not only does it make a great side dish to any Mexican or Puerto Rican meal, but it’s also perfect as part of your Cinco de Mayo party menu! Making Ensalada de Coditos couldn’t be easier, either; here’s all you need to know to make this popular Mexican recipe.
What is Ensalada de Coditos?
Ensalada de Coditos is a creamy and crispy salad that everyone enjoys. It's loaded with crisp green beans, cooked potato chunks, green olives, tomato, mayonnaise, and oil-cured tuna. Simply put, it's a Puerto Rican spin on the typical American macaroni salad. Elbow salad, like potato salad, is simple to prepare. We cannot say that it is indigenous to the island, but we have included it in our recipe book for Christmas and other special occasions.
One of the most basic or traditional recipes in many households is ensalada con coditos. It's one of those meals that's usually offered at gatherings, parties, piatas, and other special occasions. It is quite popular because it is affordable and simple to produce. Furthermore, it has a delightful flavor; I have included my rendition of the dish, which I am convinced you will like.
Ensalada de Coditos, also known as Macaroni Salad (with Chicken) / Coditos Pasta / Pasta de Coditos / plain old Coditos, is a delicious and simple to prepare delicacy. The simplicity of the ingredients is what makes this salad so appealing.
You don't really need peas, carrots, celery, broccoli, ham, and a slew of other extras, but you can certainly add them if you like. Toppings include chopped ham cubes, canned tuna, peas, carrots, broccoli, and celery.
Recipe: Ensalada de Coditos Recipe
Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 643 reviews
Tags: ensalada de coditos, macaroni salad, elbow salad, pasta salad, ensalada de coditos recipe, ensalada de coditos food, how to make ensalada de coditos, recipe video, easy method of making ensalada de coditos, video on how to prepare ensalada de coditos, how to prepare ensalada de coditos, ensalada de coditos instructions video, ensalada de coditos recipe methods, ensalada de coditos recipe tips, ensalada de coditos recipe pictures, ensalada de coditos food photos, ensalada de coditos step by step making, ensalada de coditos cooking methods, ensalada de coditos methods, ensalada de coditos cooking directions
About: Ensalada de Coditos recipe guide. It is also called Macaroni salad, elbow salad or pasta salad.
Ingredients you will need
- 1/2 lb macaroni elbow pasta
- 1 chicken breast
- Red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped ham cubes
- Canned tuna
- Boiled eggs
- Green, red or yellow chopped bell pepper
- Red onions
How to make Ensalada de Coditos step by step
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Rinse the chicken breast and cut it into four big pieces.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes over medium high heat in a pot with enough water to cover the chicken breast.
- Turn off the heat and drain the water from the saucepan. Allow the chicken to cool for a few minutes on a chopping board.
- Shred the chicken with two forks or chop it into little cubes using a knife. FOR THE PASTA:
- In a pot, bring 2 litres of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Place the pasta in the boiling water.
- Cook the pasta for one minute longer than advised on the package to obtain slightly softer spaghetti.
- Stir it frequently to keep it from sticking.
- Drain the pasta and set it aside to cool to room temperature. VEGETABLES:
- Set aside the scallions, carrots, and remaining vegetables of your choice. FOR GARNISHES:
- After chopping, combine the scallions, pepper, red onions, celery, broccoli, carrots, peas, canned tuna, bell peppers, and ham cubes (some prefer it being separated)
- Set aside the boiled eggs. also THE CONCOCTION:
- Combine the pasta, chicken, mayonnaise, red onion, and scallions in a large mixing bowl or cold pot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the desired toppings.
- Note, cook the chicken and pasta in separate pots at the same time.
Ensalada de Coditos dish pictures
Video on How to make Ensalada de Coditos
Learn how to make ensalada de coditos. It is also called Macaroni salad, elbow salad or pasta salad. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic ensalada de coditos.