Sopita, which literally means pickled in Spanish, is one of the many traditional dishes that have been passed down through generations of Mexican families.
The first thing you need to know about Sopita is that it’s not really a soup at all – it’s more of a stew with meat, fish, and/or vegetables in a flavorful broth that simmers for hours on the stovetop. The second thing you need to know about Sopita is that it’s absolutely delicious! Every home cook has their own special recipe for this hearty meal; however, the dish doesn’t require any special ingredients to make it taste great.
What is Sopita?
Sopita is a typical Mexican and Latin American comfort food that is a kid’s favorite, similar to how macaroni and cheese is a kid’s favorite in the United States. I hope you enjoy this rendition of sopita.
In Mexican and Spanish cuisines, sopita is a stock-based pasta soup. Sopita is a general term for a range of Mexican family recipes that means “little soup.” In the United States, it’s similar to chicken noodle soup.
It’s a favorite dish in many Mexican homes today, and it’s a great comfort food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or during the colder months. Because it is affordable, the soup is a favorite of both children and adults.
In true Mexican Sopita, you’ll find pasta (elbow, fideo, conchitas, and alphabet dried pasta), chicken broth, pepper, tomato sauce, and veggies such peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
Recipe: Sopita Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 93 reviews
Tags: sopita, sopita recipe, how to make sopita, recipe video, easy method of making sopita, video on how to prepare sopita, how to prepare sopita, sopita instructions video, sopita recipe methods, sopita recipe tips, sopita recipe pictures, sopita food photos, sopita step by step making, sopita cooking methods, sopita methods, sopita cooking directions
About: Sopita recipe guide. Homemade Mexican pasta soup also known as sopita. Learn how to make it.
- 1 bag (14 oz) small shell pasta
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 seasoning cubes or to taste
- 6 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Queso fresco, crumbled
How to make Sopita step by step
- Dissolve 3 seasoning cubes in 6 glasses boiling water and set aside to make this delightful chicken broth.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over low-medium heat.
- Combine the shells, garlic, and onion powder in a mixing bowl.
- Stir until the shells are a golden brown or light brownish color, stirring periodically.
- Remove the pot from the heat once the shells are cooked and add the tomato sauce and chicken broth.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the pasta shells are soft.
- Serve in dishes with cheese on top.
Video on How to make Sopita
Watch the video know-how of Sopita. Have a audio-visual clue and in depth explanations on how to make sopita. Below is the video on how to prepare sopita.
Learn how to make sopita. Homemade Mexican pasta soup also known as sopita.
So what is Sopita, and how do you make it? We’ve discussed everything above.A lot of people wonder this when they come across it in the menu at the local restaurant or street cart, and if you ask someone who has never heard of Sopita before, they will probably have no idea what it is, much less how to make it! But if you ask any Mexican, El Salvadoran or Guatemalan native what Sopita is, they will probably answer What? You don’t know what Sopita is? with shocked disbelief, as they can’t believe you’ve never tried this delicious dish!