Morisqueta is one of the most traditional desserts in Mexico, and it’s often served at special occasions like weddings and birthdays. In this guide on how to make morisqueta, you’ll learn what ingredients you need to make the pie and why it’s traditionally used for such special occasions. You’ll also learn the best way to make morisqueta to ensure your dish comes out perfect every time!
What is Morisqueta?
Morisqueta is a dish made of cooked rice and cooked pinto beans that is topped with a spicy tomato sauce. Its sauce is made with onion and garlic and may include melted adobera, ranchero, or fresh cheese cubes. Other sauces containing pork or beef are also employed. They’re served with tender pieces of pork or beef, salsa, and garnishes like shredded cabbage and crema.
This dish is typically served as a side dish alongside Tostadas or Taquitos, but it can also be eaten on its own. However, I’m going to do things a little differently for this dish.
Morisqueta is traditionally served with simple fried quesadillas, but it also goes well with warm corn tortillas or tortilla chips for a delicious meatless meal any day of the week. It is very simple to prepare and can be taken to social gatherings where it will undoubtedly be well received. This food is typically served in the summer because it is ideal for hot summer days.
The Morisqueta dish can be prepared in a variety of ways, the most basic of which is rice and beans with red salsa and cheese. We made a simple red sauce with tomatoes, onions, and serrano peppers to go with the rice and beans. Because of its tanginess, we chose queso fresco as our garnishing cheese, but you could use any easy-melting variety if you prefer. When served with tortilla chips on the side, this dish makes a tasty and filling vegetarian supper.
Recipe: Morisqueta Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 354 reviews
Tags: morisqueta, mexican morisqueta morisqueta recipe, how to make morisqueta, recipe video, easy method of making morisqueta, video on how to prepare morisqueta, how to prepare morisqueta, morisqueta instructions video, morisqueta recipe methods, morisqueta recipe tips, morisqueta recipe pictures, morisqueta food photos, morisqueta step by step making, morisqueta cooking methods, morisqueta methods, morisqueta cooking directions
About: Morisqueta recipe guide. Morisqueta a Mexican dish that contains white rice, refried beans, and a tomato chili sauce with some type of meat.
- Chicken Stock
- Medium Onion
- Long-grain Rice
- Pinto Beans
- Queso Fresco Or Cotija Cheese Crumbled
- Green cabbage
- Crema or sour cream
- Dried Guajillo Chiles -Stems and Seeds Removed
- Serrano Chiles Stems and Seeds Removed
- Dried Ancho Chiles Stems and seeds removed
- Roma Tomatoes
For the Sauce:
All ingredients as desired.
For the sauce making:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the tomatoes, dried chiles, and serrano chiles to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes, dried chiles, serrano chiles, and the water in which they were cooked with the garlic until smooth; season with salt to taste.
For Rice and beans:
- In a blender, combine the chicken stock, onion, and garlic and puree until smooth.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the rice is light golden brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth mixture slowly, stirring to combine.
- Season with a pinch of salt. After this point, do not stir.
- Cover and reduce heat to low once the rice has boiled. Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until there is no liquid left and the rice is completely cooked.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the pinto beans while the rice is simmering.
- It should be finished by now.
- To serve the morisqueta, place a large portion of the plate in the serving dish and top with 12 cup cooked pinto beans.
- Pour about a third to half of a cup of salsa over the rice and beans.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco, crema, and green cabbage for garnish
- Serve with totopos or warm tortillas (tortilla chips).
Video on How to make Morisqueta
Learn how to make morisqueta. Morisqueta a Mexican dish that contains white rice, refried beans, and a tomato chili sauce with some type of meat. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic morisqueta.