Carne con Papas, or beef with potatoes in English, is one of the most traditional Mexican recipes out there. It’s simple, it’s hearty, and it’s an absolute crowd-pleaser at family gatherings and parties. But how do you make Carne con Papas? How do you make Carne con Papas recipe? We’ll show you how to make Carne con Papas from scratch in this step-by-step guide!
Carne con Papas, or meat with potatoes, is the ultimate in comfort food. It’s simple to make and tastes great, which explains why it’s so popular in Mexico and throughout Latin America. It’s also known as carne con papas en salsa roja or carne guisada, depending on where you live. This recipe will help you make Carne con Papas in no time at all!
What is Carne con Papas?
The term carne con papas translates to ‘meat with potatoes’ and is a traditional Colombian food. It’s very simple to make, delicious and much loved by kids. This delectable beef stew with potatoes is the Cuban equivalent of the Spanish picadillo.
Carne de papas employs pieces of beef instead of ground meat, like in the classic picadillo. Carne with papas sauce differs from picadillo sauce in that it includes items like as raisins, olives, peppers, and even capers, in addition to the usual sofrito foundation.
Carne con papas or beef and potatoes is a dish that is served in many countries in Latin America and is a very popular dish in the Dominican Republic. It is usually served with rice, beans and fried plantains.
Recipe: Carne con Papas Recipe
Cuisine: Mexican, Cuban
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 493 reviews
Tags: carne con papas, carne con papas recipe, carne con papas food, how to make carne con papas, carne con papas recipe video, easy method of making carne con papas, video on how to prepare carne con papas, how to prepare carne con papas, carne con papas instructions video, carne con papas recipe methods, carne con papas recipe tips, carne con papas recipe pictures, carne con papas food photos, carne con papas step by step instructions, carne con papas cooking methods, carne con papas methods, carne con papas cooking directions
About: Carne con Papas recipe guide. Cuban-style potatoes with beef sauce. Learn how to make your carne con papas.
- 1½ pound beef cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt plus extra if needed at the end
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound potato peeled and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 large carrot cut into roughly ½ inch rounds
- ½ cup pitted spanish olives
Carne con Papas recipe
- Using a pinch of salt and pepper, season the beef.
- Heat the olive oil in a casserole, large pot, or deep pan over medium heat. After the oil has heated up, add the steak. In the baking pan, arrange it in a single layer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, rotating and browning each piece of beef. Turn off the heat in the pan and remove the steak from it. Keep warm in a pan or on a platter.
- Add the onions to the pan and return it to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until they soften and become transparent.
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and a cup of chicken broth while the meat is cooking. Puree until the mixture is completely smooth.
- With the garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, and pepper in the pan, cook for 1 minute, stirring almost constantly.
- Scrape any stray bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir in the white wine. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the liquid has almost completely evaporated. Constantly stir the mixture.
- In a large pot, combine the tomato sauce, water, and bay leaf.
- Return the meat, along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate, to the pot. After the sauce has returned to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover it.
- Cook, stirring only once or twice, for 15 minutes. Keep the sauce at a low simmer. If it’s boiling too quickly, turn down the heat.
- Reduce to a low heat setting and cover. Cook the meat and potatoes for 25-30 minutes over medium-low to low heat, stirring occasionally, or until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender. If the sauce is boiling too quickly, lower the heat slightly.
- Remove the bay leaf and toss it out. Season the sauce to taste with salt if needed.
- Rice should be served alongside the carne con papas.
Carne con Papas pictures
Video on How to make Carne con Papas
Learn how to make carne con papas. Cuban-style potatoes with beef sauce. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic carne con papas.
What is Carne con Papas? If you’re looking to learn how to make Carne con Papas, then you’ve come to the right place! Carne con Papas, also called carne guisada, translates to beef with potatoes in Spanish. This Mexican recipe calls for cubed steak that is cooked with diced potatoes and tomatoes, served over white rice. It’s flavorful, filling, and as you’ll see below, super easy to make! Get started with the following steps and you will soon be enjoying your own authentic Mexican recipe!
Carne con Papas translates to meat with potatoes in Spanish. The dish is popular in many Latin American countries, and it typically consists of cooked chunks of beef served with boiled or fried potatoes seasoned with garlic, onion, and other spices and toppings. Here’s how to make Carne con Papas from scratch so you can try this classic Mexican recipe at home.