Sopitos is a popular Colima appetizer. Learn the history and facts; easy sopitos recipe and ingredients; professional kitchen tips and improvisation to make yours at home conveniently.
This article contains the following subheadings:
- Description: What it is, history, and facts.
- The Recipe: A detailed information on preparation and more.
Sopitos are delicious, rolled tortillas that are filled with meat, onions, and cilantro and then fried until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. These versatile little cornmeal pockets make a great snack or side dish, and they also make an incredibly unique appetizer that will impress your guests! If you’ve ever wanted to know how to make sopitos at home, this step-by-step guide will show you how to do it in no time flat!
What is Sopitos?
Sopitos are typically made with masa harina, lard, salt and water. Sopitos can be served as a snack or an appetizer, as well as a side dish for a main meal. You can top sopitas with salsa, cheese, onion and avocado to make them even more delicious! They are also great for parties because they can be served cold or hot depending on your preference.
Sopitos are a traditional dish from Mexico and can be made with a variety of ingredients. The most common version is made with cooked corn, beans, cheese, and chiles. Some people prefer to make their sopitos with pork or shrimp; others like to top them off with a hearty salsa or guacamole.
They are the perfect treat to serve at any Mexican-themed party. These sweet and salty snacks originated in Colima but are enjoyed across the country and even internationally. The best part? Sopitos are easy to make, so you can bring them to any event with ease!
Some related dishes to sopitos are tacos, tostadas and tamales. Tacos are like a single-sized sopito with the same ingredients. Tostadas are similar to sopitos, but they are eaten on a fried tortilla and not on a corn tortilla. Tamales are also similar in that they have masa and lard as their main ingredients. But, unlike sopitos, tamales are boiled in water before being wrapped in dried corn leaves or banana leaves. Sopitos can be eaten by themselves or as an appetizer with a small glass of beer or chilled fruit juice.
Sopitos can be found in many different Mexican restaurants around the United States, but you can easily make them at home! Here’s how to make sopitos for yourself or your loved ones.
Ingredients needed for Sopitos
- 5 quarts water
- 14 ounces boneless round rump roast, in chunks
- 2 white onions, halved
- 2 heads garlic, unpeeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, split
- 2 turnips, halved
- 1 stick cinnamon, 2 inches long
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1 chicken breast, halved
- For the Sopes
- 24 tortillas, 3 inches in diameter
- 2 cups lard
- For the garnish
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh feta or ricotta cheese, crumbled
How to make Sopitos step by stepPrepare the topping:
- In a stock pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add your beef, turnips, garlic, carrots, onions, bay leaves, carrots, leeks, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, and salt.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Add more water as needed during cooking.
- When the beef is tender, add the chicken and cook until done, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool the meats in the broth.
- Remove the meats and process them in a food processor or meat grinder.
- Strain the broth. Separate the ground meats.
- Puree tomatoes with onion, garlic, chile, cilantro, and salt in a blender or food processor. Place aside.
- Preheat a griddle or comal.
- Mix in some lard.
- 12 tortillas, lightly fried on both sides
- Warm up some more lard.
- Fry the remaining 12 tortillas and keep them warm.
- Arrange tortillas on a platter to serve.
- Cover with the sauce and top with the cabbage, onion, and cheese.
- Serve right away.
Recipe Video: How to make Sopitos
Learn how to make sopitos. This is a video on how to prepare your sopitos.
Rated: 4.9 of 5.0 from 348 reviews.
Recipe tags: sopitos, sopitos recipe, meat sopitos, chicken sopitos, Colima, what is sopitos, sopitos food, how to make sopitos, sopitos recipe video, easy method of making sopitos, video on how to prepare sopitos, how to prepare sopitos, sopitos instructions video, sopitos recipe methods, sopitos recipe tips, sopitos recipe pictures, sopitos food photos, sopitos step by step instructions, sopitos cooking methods, sopitos methods, sopitos cooking directions
For those of you who haven’t heard of this scrumptious treat, sopitos are a traditional Mexican dish that combines beans, cheese and tortilla into one mouth-watering delicacy. They can be served as an appetizer or as part of a meal, and they’re great to prepare ahead of time and then heat up when you need to feed your family or host guests. For an easy recipe on how to make sopitos, read this article.