Gobo sushi is becoming more and more popular in Japan and around the world, as it’s becoming increasingly clear that it has a number of health benefits which go beyond even those enjoyed by other kinds of sushi! Read on to find out what it’s all about, and how you can use it to improve your health!
Gobo sushi has gained popularity in recent years, but there’s still plenty of confusion surrounding this colorful dish. Many people wonder what gobo sushi is, while others wonder how to make it or why it’s trending in the first place. After all, gobo doesn’t sound like the most appealing food item you could put on top of your sushi roll. But, if you haven’t tried it yet, gobo sushi might become your new favorite sushi trend! Here’s everything you need to know about this unique and flavorful sushi dish!
What is Gobo sushi?
Gobo sushi is sushi prepared with a slender and long root known as burdock root as the main ingredient. Burdock root which is native to northern Asia and Europe is a plant related to sunflowers and part of the daisy family. The edible part is the long and slender root. The skin is coarse, thin, and covered in dirt, so it needs a thorough wash before it can be used for the delicious hobo sushi, while this root is the traditional ingredient for making an original Gobo sushi.
It is common amongst the Japanese. Gobo root is an excellent source of powerful antioxidants which protect the body from cell damage, due to its great health benefits, gobo root (burdock root) is also used in the form of tea, oil, powder, in addition to gobo recipes.
Gobo is a popular ingredient for sushi rolls to add extra flavor and crunchiness to this delicacy. Japanese pickled gobo is made from burdock root brined in rice vinegar, sugar and salt mixture. Orange coloring is then added, making it look a lot like baby carrots.
Gobo sushi is a new trend in Japanese cuisine that has swept through the country and taken over Instagram with its extravagant toppings and eye-catching presentation. Although this dish may seem as though it would be difficult to make at home, here are instructions on how to make gobo sushi at home in just four easy steps!
Gobo sushi Recipe
Recipe: Gobo sushi Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 87 reviews
Tags: gobo sushi, gobo sushi recipe, what is gobo sushi, gobo sushi food, how to make gobo sushi, gobo sushi recipe video, easy method of making gobo sushi, video on how to prepare gobo sushi, how to prepare gobo sushi, gobo sushi instructions video, gobo sushi recipe methods, gobo sushi recipe tips, gobo sushi recipe pictures, gobo sushi food photos, gobo sushi step by step instructions, gobo sushi cooking methods, gobo sushi methods, gobo sushi cooking directions
About: Gobo sushi easy recipe from LHH Food. Learn how to make your gobo sushi from home.
Gobo sushi Ingredients
- 1 cup sushi rice (Japanese short grain rice)
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sushi vinegar (or 2 tablespoons rice vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz pickled clean gobo
- 3-4 sheets of nori
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
How to make Gobo sushi step by step
- Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear
- Add rice and water to the rice maker or cooking pot and cook (make sure the rice is not mushy)
- Once cooked, transfer the hot rice to a large bowl and let it cool down slightly to a warm temperature
- Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt to a great paste called sushi vinegar
- When the rice is still warm, stir in the sushi vinegar and set aside
- Assemble gobo sushi rolls
- Cut the picked gobo lengthwise into thin strips
- Lay out the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap on top
- Cut 1/4 of the seaweed sheet, and place it on top of the bamboo mat
- Take about 3/4 cup cooked rice and evenly spread over nori while leaving 1/2 inch at the top of the sheet
- Now place pickled gobo strips on top of the rice
- Place the thumbs underneath the bamboo mat and lift the edge up and over the filling
- Now carefully roll the bamboo mat away from you and press the rice and filling together firmly
- Serve or garnish with soy sauce and pickled ginger as desired
Recipe Video: How to make Gobo sushi
Learn how to make gobo sushi. This is a video on how to prepare your gobo sushi.
Gobo sushi pictures
Gobo sushi endnote
If you love sushi and you haven’t heard of gobo sushi yet, you’re missing out on a tasty new addition to your sushi repertoire. While the name might not be familiar to you, you’ve probably eaten it before – gobo means burdock root in Japanese, and this ingredient is what gives gobo sushi its unique taste and texture. Burdock root has been used in Asian cuisine for centuries as a detoxifying herb, but now you can enjoy it without worrying about any negative side effects because gobo sushi itself has no negative health effects – aside from the calories, of course!