Topokki (also spelled Tteokbokki, Topokki, and Toppoki) is a traditional Asian dish that consists of chewy rice cakes topped with kimchi (spicy pickled vegetables) and either fish cakes or spam, with a sweet and spicy sauce to finish the dish off. It’s often served as an appetizer or snack, but it’s hearty enough to make a complete meal if you want it to be.
What is Topokki (Tteokbokki)
Topokki is a traditional Korean dish that is sometimes translated into English as "stir-fried rice cakes," but this is not an accurate description. It's also known as tteokmyeon or tteokbokki-tteok, and it's a popular Korean dish made from miniature garae-tteok. Eomuk, boiled eggs, and scallions are common ingredients in tteokbokki.
Topokki, a spicy stir-fried rice cake, is a popular side dish. It is typically made with sautéed fish cakes, tofu, and vegetables. This is a delicious comfort food that can be served as a snack or as a side dish to a main course.
It's a spicy sauce with chewy rice cakes. It's a comfort food, but it's not something you'd eat every day. In fact, it is only available from street vendors during the winter. It will be a main course or snack at home or on the road.
It's frequently topped with a raw or fried egg and chopped scallions and served with a bowl of hot soup like galbitang (beef bone soup) or myeon (noodles). Topokki is often wrapped in a thin rice cake with meat and vegetables and eaten like a hamburger.
Recipe: Topokki Recipe
Category: Appetizers, Snacks
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 274 reviews
Recipe Tags: topokki, topokki recipe, how to make topokki, tteokbokki, stir-fried rice cakes, derkbokee, tteobokki, tteok-bokki, korean topokki, korean rice cakes, recipe video, easy method of making topokki, video on how to prepare topokki, how to prepare topokki, topokki instructions video, topokki recipe methods, topokki recipe tips, topokki recipe pictures, topokki food photos, topokki step by step making, topokki cooking methods, topokki methods, topokki cooking directions
About: Topokki recipe guide. Topokki or Tteokbokki, is a Korean simmered rice cake made from small-sized tteokmyeon or tteokbokki-tteok. Learn how to make your authentic food, topokki.
- 1 pound tteokbokki tteok
- 1 sheet eomuk (fish cake)
- 4 ounces green cabbage (yangbaechu)
- 1 - 3 teaspoons Korean red chili pepper flakes (gochugaru) - preferably finely ground
- 3 tablespoons Korean red chili pepper paste (gochujang)
- 3 cups anchovy broth or water (use 4 cups for more sauce)
- 1 - 2 scallions
- Sesame seeds
- Sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or 1 more tablespoon sugar)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Soak the rice cakes in warm water for about 20 minutes if they are hardened or chilled. Cut the fish cake, cabbage, and scallions into 2-inch long slices.
- Anchovies should be used to make a broth. Add the anchovy broth to a large pot (or water). In a mixing bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring the soup stock to a boil in a shallow pot over medium high heat, then stir in the tteokbokki sauce with a spatula to dissolve it. Check to see if the red chili paste has completely dissolved (gochujang).
- Toss the rice cakes into the seasoned stock that has been brought to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the rice cakes are soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Combine the vegetables and fish cakes in a mixing bowl. Cook for another 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Extra time may be required, depending on the rice cakes, to achieve the desired level of softness. Add more broth or water if necessary.
- Alternatively, toss in the sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onion with a quick stir.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning as needed. While the dish is still warm, serve it right away.
Do you want to know what Topokki tastes like? Topokki or Tteokbokki has everything you need for a great snack: sweetness, spice, a tangy and garlicky sauce, and chewy rice cake bits. Similarly, instead of corn syrup, use honey or brown sugar for a sweeter, but slightly different flavor.
Video on How to make Topokki
Learn how to make topokki. Topokki or Tteokbokki, is a Korean simmered rice cake made from small-sized tteokmyeon or tteokbokki-tteok. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic topokki.
Topokki, also spelled ddeokbokki, is a traditional Korean dish made with chewy rice cakes, fish cakes, tofu and vegetables cooked in sweet gochujang (chili pepper paste) sauce. It’s one of the most popular street foods in Korea that you can also find at restaurants and take-out shops throughout the country, and it’s commonly enjoyed as an after-school snack or a light meal.