An authentic beef negimaki recipe should be easy to follow, making it the perfect option when you want to prepare your own beef roll at home instead of ordering out from a restaurant. It’s also quick and delicious, making it well worth the effort to track down all the ingredients if you don’t have them on hand already (they are common enough that you might even have some in your kitchen right now). If you want to try making beef negimaki at home, here’s everything you need to know about what is beef negimaki and how to make it!
What is Beef Negimaki?
Beef Negimaki is a Japanese dish that literally means "small pieces of beef roll with scallions." The rolled beef cutlet is similar to the beef roll or croquettes found in the United States. The English name for these rolls is scallion rolls. Negi means "scallion," while maki means "rolls." Negimaki is teriyaki-marinated thinly pounded beef wrapped in scallions.
Carnivores love beef negimaki at sushi restaurants. The glutamates in the beef and soy sauce provide a great umami flavor, and the mirin's sugar binds everything together into a glaze. Originally, beef was used, but other meats, such as chicken, are now commonly used in the preparation of negimaki.
It's usually accompanied by ponzu sauce. This dish originated in Japan's Kansai region (western half). The dish is popular in the summer because it is simple to make and does not require heating.
Beef negimaki has an incredible umami flavor. With the fresh, grassy flavor of the scallions, the buttery flank steak, and the sweet and salty sauce, you have a dish that will send your taste buds into overdrive.
Recipe: Beef Negimaki Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 679 reviews
Tags: negimaki, beef negimaki, beef negimaki recipe, how to make beef negimaki, meat negimaki, recipe video, easy method of making beef negimaki, video on how to prepare beef negimaki, how to prepare beef negimaki, beef negimaki instructions video, beef negimaki recipe methods, beef negimaki recipe tips, beef negimaki recipe pictures, beef negimaki food photos, beef negimaki step by step making, beef negimaki cooking methods, beef negimaki methods, beef negimaki cooking directions
About: Beef Negimaki recipe guide. Beef Negimaki is a Japanese dish made of thinly pounded beef, marinated, then folded with scallions and grilled. Learn how to make your beef negimaki.
Beef Negimaki Ingredients
- 1 pound flank beef steak
- 5 scallions
- 9 tiny onions, trimmed to 6-inches in length
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- A quarter cup of sake
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 cornstarch (optional)
- Ground or grated ginger (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Asparagus spears
Beef Negimaki Recipe
- In a medium pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over medium-high heat. After adding a half-teaspoon of salt, blanch the scallions for 45 minutes or until tender before removing them and placing them in a bowl of cold water. Using paper towels, drain and dry the scallions.
- Using a cutting board, cut flank steak against the grain into desired large or medium sizes. Place each slice on plastic wrap 1 inch apart, cover with another piece of plastic wrap, and pound until 1/16 inch thick. Using rice flour as a coating (optional). In a medium mixing bowl, combine 14 cup rice (or all-purpose) flour. Toss each maki roll in a small amount of rice flour and shake off any excess.
- 3 beef slices should be placed side by side. To make a 6-inch square, slightly overlap the slices. Season the square with a pinch of salt. Then, in the direction of the grain, lay three scallions across the meat. Roll the meat tightly around the scallions and secure with kitchen twine at the tip and where the meat slices overlap. Rep with the rest of the meat and scallions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sake, mirin, soy sauce, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Place the rolls in a small dish and pour the marinade over them, turning them to evenly coat them. Marinate for 15 to 25 minutes, turning occasionally while preparing the grill.
- One full chimney of charcoal should be lit. Ensure that all of the charcoal is lit, then pour out and evenly distribute the coals across the entire surface of the coal grate. Place the cooking grate on the grill, cover it, and let it heat up for 5 minutes. The grilling grate should be cleaned and oiled. Grill the rolls with the marinade until they are well seared on all sides. Each side will take 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes on a cutting board.
- While the meat is resting, pour the marinade into a small pot. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes over medium heat, or until slightly thickened. Negimaki rolls' twine should be cut off and discarded. Using a knife, cut the each roll into 6 1-inch slices. Place the rolls on a plate and drizzle with the sauce.
- Before serving, Japanese beef negimaki is sliced into segments.
- If there are any leftovers, add 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger to the soy mixture and pour over stir-fried vegetables.
- Serve with rice or a green salad as a side dish (optional)
Servings and Tips
- It's great with white rice, seasoned sushi rice, or basmati rice, as well as stir-fried portabellos and sugar snap peas.
- It can also be served with vegetables that have been blistered! Edamame, string beans, or shishsito peppers are all great.
- If you don't want to roll the beef or chicken around the green onions, you can make a marinade without them. Then make the vinaigrette and baste the chicken with it.
- If you can't eat scallions, asparagus spears will suffice.
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger was added to the leftover soy mixture, which was then poured over the stir-fried vegetables.
Beef Negimaki food images
Video on How to make Beef Negimaki
Watch the video know-how of Beef Negimaki. Have a audio-visual clue and in depth explanations on how to make beef negimaki. Below is the video on how to prepare beef negimaki.
Learn how to make beef negimaki. Beef Negimaki is a Japanese dish made of thinly pounded beef, marinated, then folded with scallions and grilled. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic beef negimaki.
Called beef negimaki, this dish features beef rolled around scallions and dipped in teriyaki sauce. It’s usually cut into bite-sized pieces and served as an appetizer or snack in Japanese restaurants, but it’s also perfect as a main course when you want something quick and easy to make at home! The recipe below will help you learn how to make beef negimaki at home – all you need are some basic ingredients and about half an hour of your time to prepare the dish.