Tonnarelli, also called spaghetti tonnato and spaghetti alla puttanesca, is a delicious pasta dish with tuna sauce made of canned tuna, olive oil, anchovies, mayonnaise, capers and lots of black pepper. Although this dish may seem quite complicated to make at home, it’s actually very easy if you know the right recipe! Follow our instructions to prepare Tonnarelli at home!
Tonnarelli are very popular in southern Italy and they’re known as little torches because they look like little sticks when you boil them. But don’t let the name fool you, this pasta dish is anything but little! Tonnarelli are made with hard durum wheat semolina, making them sturdy and chewy. I know it may seem intimidating to make your own Tonnarelli, but it’s actually very easy and affordable – and worth every second of time you spend in the kitchen!
What is Tonnarelli?
Tonnarelli is a thin, firm pasta. In traditional Italian cookery, it's a common dish. Tonnarelli, like other pasta, is made from milled wheat and water, with vitamins and minerals added occasionally. Italian spaghetti is made using durum wheat semolina.
Tonnarelli is an Italian pasta that comes from the Abruzzo region. Tonnarelli is supposed to have been originated in the Abruzzo town of Opi, in the province of L'Aquila. This pasta is delicious with both fish and meat, but it's most usually served with game.
Tonnarelli is a traditional Tuscan cooked Italian meal prepared with "tonnarelli" pasta and a bolognese sauce. In Southern Italy, this is a common meal served on special occasions. This is a fairly simple recipe that anyone can make, but it takes a long time to prepare. From start to end, this blog will lead you through the full process of making this cuisine.
Recipe: Tonnarelli Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.8 of 5.0 from 64 reviews
Tags: tonnarelli, tonnarelli recipe, tonnarelli food, how to make tonnarelli, recipe video, easy method of making tonnarelli, video on how to prepare tonnarelli, how to prepare tonnarelli, tonnarelli instructions video, tonnarelli recipe methods, tonnarelli recipe tips, tonnarelli recipe pictures, tonnarelli food photos, tonnarelli step by step making, tonnarelli cooking methods, tonnarelli methods, tonnarelli cooking directions
About: Tonnarelli recipe guide. Tonnarelli is a delicious Italian pasta dish.
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds dried tonnarelli or spaghetti alla chitarra
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese (about 6 ounces), plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup finely grated Grana Padano (about 1 ounce)
How to make Tonnarelli step by step
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, just less than halfway full. (The amount of starch leached from the pasta increases as it cooks.)
- Cook, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente.
- In a medium pot, drain the pasta and set aside 6 cups of the cooking liquid.
- Disinfect the pasta pot.
- Grate the cheese into fine shavings with a cheese grater. Grind plenty of black pepper in a large serving bowl where you'll toss the pasta.
- Boil the oil, pepper, and butter in a pasta pot over high heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups pasta cooking liquid to a boil, then reduce by half, stirring occasionally, for 3–4 minutes.
- Cook pasta and 1 1/2 cups pasta cooking liquid over high heat for 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens, turning often to help remove starch from pasta.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add 1 cup of the pasta water that has been boiling. 3 cups Pecorino Romano, twisting and swirling with tongs until very creamy Add the Grana Padano and more pasta cooking liquid if the pasta is dry.
- Serve the pasta immediately in a serving bowl with more grated Pecorino cheese on top.
Tonnarelli dish pictures
Video on How to make Tonnarelli
Watch the video know-how of Tonnarelli. Have a audio-visual clue and in depth explanations on how to make tonnarelli. Below is the video on how to prepare tonnarelli.
Learn how to make tonnarelli. Tonnarelli is a delicious Italian pasta dish. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic tonnarelli.
Toniarelli pasta is a type of elbow pasta that has been traditionally used in the Tuscany region of Italy and across southern Europe to make traditional Italian dishes such as spaghetti alla chitarra, homemade ravioli, and more! It’s actually the most well-known pasta shape in Italy, so if you know how to make Tonnarelli at home, you’ll be quite popular with your friends who have never experienced this delicious variety of Italian pasta before! Check out this article on how to make Tonnarelli at home – it’s easier than you think!