What is Mortadela? Many Americans ask this question when they hear the name, and if you’re in that boat, don’t feel bad! You’re not alone, but with just a little information, you can learn how to make Mortadela in no time at all. Mortadela is an Italian delicacy prepared using mortadella sausage and typically served on sandwiches or as an antipasto (appetizer). Making your own Mortadela recipe is easy and fun to do, so let’s get started!
When you think of Italian cuisine, you might picture the red sauce and noodles that are so common in Americanized versions of Italian food. But, did you know that authentic Italian cooking consists of much more than pasta? If you’re not sure where to start, consider beginning with mortadela , a typical Italian deli meat that can be easily made at home. Here’s how to make mortadela!
What is Mortadela?
Mortadella is a pistachio-studded pork cold cut from Italy. It's seasoned with peppers, caraway, and garlic, and it has a deceptively smooth texture thanks to a significant amount of hog fat. It's a massive Italian cured sausage made with freshly ground pork and pork fat. To season his meatballs, he used white pepper, coriander, garlic powder, anise, mace, crushed caraway, black peppercorns, and pistachios.
Mortadella is made with finely minced high-quality pork and chunks of cooked pig fat. This mixture is filled into a big casing and cooked over low heat for around 24 hours. It is a more delicate cold cut that may be eaten in a sandwich like bologna or used as a pizza topping to provide a fuller flavor profile. Mortadella can also be served on meat and cheese plates with wine.
This sausage is quite popular in Spain and Portugal, particularly in sandwiches, where a variant with pepper and olives is popular. The standard mortadella is often referred to as mortadela italiana (Italian mortadella) in eastern Spain to distinguish it from a local variety known as catalana.
What flavor does mortadella have? Mortadella has a mild pork flavor. It lacks the intensity of bacon but has a greater pork flavor than a pork chop or loin. Mortadella can be eaten on a sandwich, bruschetta, grilled, diced and served with pasta salad, or sliced with cheese and served as a panini sandwich.
Recipe: Mortadela Recipe
Author: LHH Food
Ingredients: Ingredients list here
Instructions: Click to go to process
Average rating: 4.9 of 5.0 from 638 reviews
Tags: mortadela, mortadela recipe, mortadela sausage, how to make mortadela, mortadela recipe video, easy method of making mortadela, video on how to prepare mortadela, how to prepare mortadela, mortadela instructions video, mortadela recipe methods, mortadela recipe tips, mortadela recipe pictures, mortadela sausage photos, mortadela step by step instructions, mortadela cooking methods, mortadela methods, mortadela cooking directions
About: Mortadela recipe guide. Made from freshly chopped pork, flavoured with unique spices and then roasted. Learn how to make your authentic sausage, mortadela.
Mortadela Ingredients List
Here you have all the list of ingredients for making Mortadela. Directions and how to prepare mortadela follows after.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound pork back fat
- 1/3 cup powdered non fat dry milk
- 1.5 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
How to make Mortadela step by step
- Cut the pig back fat into quarter-inch chunks.
- Freeze the diced pig fat for at least 30 minutes before using.
- In a stand mixer, combine all ingredients except the diced pork back fat and blend on low for two to three minutes, or until a smooth paste develops.
- Place the mixing bowl containing the beef mixture in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to chill.
- Remove the meat combination and the diced pork fat from the freezer. With a rubber spatula, fold the fat into the meat mixture until it is equally distributed (1-2 minutes). Continue to freeze the mixture for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the freezer and stuff it into your largest casings, knot them up, and chill the sausages for 1-2 days to let the cure to work.
- After 1-2 days of curing, remove the sausage from the refrigerator and poach it in 175F water until it reaches an internal temperature of 150F. (usually 20–25 minutes)
- When the sausages reach 150°F, remove them from the poaching liquid and place them in an ice bath to cool completely.
Mortadela sausage pictures
Video on How to make Mortadela
Watch the video know-how of Mortadela. Have a audio-visual clue and in depth explanations on how to make mortadela. Below is the video on how to prepare mortadela.
Learn how to make mortadela. Made from freshly chopped pork, flavoured with unique spices and then roasted. This is a video on how to prepare fantastic mortadela.
How to make Mortadela: an Italian delicacy, Mortadela (mortadella in English) has been prepared in Italy since the 18th century and is now enjoyed all over the world. The recipe originated in the Italian region of Bologna where there are still many traditional ways to prepare it with just the right amount of garlic, mustard, and herbs . Mortadela (mortadella in English) has been prepared in Italy since the 18th century and is now enjoyed all over the world.